Thread: Need support
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wrkinrose

Need support

Hi All,
I just started posting here this week. I've been to three Al-anon meetings and looking for ways to start detaching and setting boundaries.
This weekend my 18 year old addicted daughter went to a NA conference with a friend who has a year clean. I thought this was a good way for her to see that people who are clean can have fun and socialize. (socializing is her big reason to use).
I just got a phone call that she has been arrested for shoplifting. I told her friend who called that it's okay and not his fault and that she has to learn the hard way about consequences. I am very calm right now. The conference was in another state, two hours away. My daughter doesn't know anyone there. I am sure she will call me eventually.
So, tell me what do I say when she calls? How do I "lovingly" tell her she is on her own? How do I not lecture her, which is what I am inclined to do at any opportunity? I wish I had had more time with meetings before this happened but I guess God had another plan. I am giving her to Him but I need words to get me through the phone calls.
Thanks,
Rose