View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ICant

Blessed. You can only control your life. You can't control his recovery. You gave him many chances. You decided to leave for your own sanity. Your goal in leaving was not to get him sober. You left because you were done with it. Whether he drinks or is sober, he is in the hands of his higher power (which I choose to call God) and I believe that you don't know more than God so trust that your husband is where he should be and leave him there.

In a similar story my husband only found AA because I was leaving. Had I been true to myself, I would have left because he was already on borrowed time anyway. But he said what I wanted to hear and I have stayed. And it has been at a cost. He has a lot of anger, going to AA on an ad-hoc basis, not really finding recovery or his higher power. I'm not making any decisions now and will wait for a year of sobriety (if he makes it) but ...I really don't know what to say about my marriage. I'm not positive about the future. I take it a day at a time. I go to Al-Anon to find happiness in spite of my husband.

I think you are awesome for sticking to your guns.