Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
desperateintx

Advice for handling family that is not very supportive!!!

I am new on here, and have literally spent hours reading and reading. It's nice to discover the enormous support that is available on this site!

Here is my situation. My son is 16. 4 weeks ago we admitted him to an inpatient treatment facility. He has a problem with marijuana. At first, I was releived knowing he was in a safe, secure environment. We have had him in counciling, we have made rules and consequences, but I have come to realize that an addict will lie, cheat, and steal to satisfy their craving. The estimated time for his stay is approximately 4 months, but certainly dependant upon his personal progress. I have began to have feeling of feeling angry toward him over the past week or so. I am angry that he can't understand or doesn't care how this not only effects his health and well-bein g, but it effects me, his younger brother, who is too young to comprehend why his brother is gone all of a sudden.
My husband, who is my 16 year old's step-father and my mother-in-law, have both stated to me, but at different times that they hope I am not expecting his treatment to work and cure him. They have both told me that they think he will simply do his time while there, tell the counselors what they need to here so he can get out and begin using again. This has made me resent both my husband and my mother in law. What am I suppose to do??? Nothing, just stick my head in the sand and pretend his self-destructive behavior isn't happening, allowing him to continue.....OR, try getting him the help I feel he so desperately needs and deserves????? I realize that at the end of the day, he will make his own choices, but I have to be able to sleep at night knowing that I have exhausted every opportunity to help my son.
How do you respond to such negativity from those who you are close to, at a time when you need supportive people around you the most!??!?!

Am I missing something?