View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

If you are talking about Social Security Disability, they really do not give disability for Alcoholism and Addiction.

However, they do grant disability for certain Mental Health Issues, and the RESULTS, the DAMAGE that alcohol and drugs have caused to the body.

Yes I am an alcoholic. However, I was 19 years sober when I started dealing with SS for some major health issues, many of them a direct result of the 24 years (22 of it aloholically) that I drank and used drugs.

Years ago SS did put practicing alkies on Disability. They got a check every month, usually sent to someone who was their "guardian". In many cases that 'guardian' just doled the money out weekly and the alkie continued to live on the streets. That policy was discontinued back in the early '90's I believe.

You go to the nearest Social Security office. There are 2 initial forms that have to be filled out with everything yu can think of. One form is for SSI (those who do not have enough work credits) and the other is for SSDI (those that do have enough work credits). They do their investigation first for the SSI, they will ask for Medical Release Forms to be signed so they can get all medical information. If the disability is approved, first they approve the SSI and then they continue the investigation until you are approved for or disapproved for SSDI.

It took me 2 years and 7 months just to get the SSI and then another 13 months before the SSDI kicked in, and that included several denials and appeals. It is not a magic bullet and does take quite a while. It is a LONG DRAWN out process.

Good luck.

Love and hugs,