Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
christin1225

Jimba,
I think that I'm finally catching on... although you have a history of drug abuse, your relationship with opioids (namely oxys) is the most recent and you've discovered that oxys don't play nice and won't let you maintain your binge mentality; it's all or nothing and you've flushed your subs. Eeeks! Or maybe not...

If your plan is to wait until Monday to do something, I'll assume that you're supplied with enough oxys to hold you over until then. It also sounds as though you have an appointment with your doctor. That's good. There's an important thing to consider, though, if you're looking at doing drug replacement therapy (suboxone or methadone). Eventually, you have to taper down and get off the replacement drug. Some will tell you that you can taper from Suboxone asymptomatically. Well, I'm here to tell you that is not true for everyone. It most certainly is not true for me. In fact, I woke quite sick today. So sick that I almost didn't make my AA meeting. Of course, I put a Sub under my tongue before leaving the house and just about the time that the meeting was over, I finally felt as though I didn't need to worry about puking in my coffee cup (which I took but was too sick to sip).

So, that's tapering. l will confess that I'm tapering a bit quicker than what would be recommended. Nevertheless, I also experienced withdrawal symptoms even with my first 2mg taper (from 12-10). I don't want to tell you NOT to get on Suboxone. I just want to make you aware that you may be one of those for whom getting off the Suboxone is no picnic and I'm of the opinion that someone should be well informed before they make a decision.

IMO, if you think that you can get inpatient to detox off the oxys, where they will give you some comfort meds and maybe even a very short course (days) of Subutex as an inpatient, that is the best course. You will receive in patient therapy and, hopefully, be referred to a good intensive outpatient program after discharge.

For very specific reasons, I went the Suboxone route. I wish that I could get to a place in my life where what I'm suggesting to you would be an option for me.

Ohh, and Jimba ... you may not have to wait until Monday if you want to get sober, sober NOW. Call a hotline and see if there is a place nearby where you can present in withdrawal and be admitted immediately.

I wish you the best!