View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dreamstones

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
I understand the relief you feel because I remember how I slept so much better when my son was somewhere that I knew of, somewhere where I felt he was at least safe, fed and had a roof overhead. Alot of those feelings I had were an illusion because as soon as he got out- the chaos would start all over again.

I had to learn how to take care of myself regardless of his choices. I had to learn how to keep myself in a safe place- emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually and financially too.

I hope that you can take advantage of this 'break' to make some changes to help yourself, because as so many here know- it's one of the most difficult things to love an active alcholic or addict.

Take care...
CMC,
You hit the nail on the head. I know my AS been in treatement a few times, a bit of "relief" for Mom and I, but I always prepared for the chaos to start up soon after, since she never hit Step 4.

The family and friends who are left in the wake of the addiction need to take care of themselves first and foremost!

Osakis,
I know we are all praying that your brother makes it this time. Focus on yourself right now.