View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Whether the drinking triggers the anxiety or the anxiety triggers the drinking- the solution is the same:only he can decide when he's had enough.

My son was in and out of facilities and we came to the conclusion that since he had 'successfully' completed one 28 day program and the same 6th month halfwayhousae program two times....he already knew everything he needed to know about recovery.

When my son was finally ready, he didn't need to learn more. What he finally did was to use what he learned and do what he knew was 'the next right thing.'

My son's last time 'out' started up right after completing the 6 month program, where he had stayed on for an extra 3 months as a member of the staff. At that time there were no more different shades of what we considered enabling; we completely stopped supporting his lifestyle. He was out using for 7 months, got arrested, and took the long-range plan offered him by the judge: A year in jail, 4 months in a county facility with over a year probation after that.

I understand the relief you feel because I remember how I slept so much better when my son was somewhere that I knew of, somewhere where I felt he was at least safe, fed and had a roof overhead. Alot of those feelings I had were an illusion because as soon as he got out- the chaos would start all over again.

I had to learn how to take care of myself regardless of his choices. I had to learn how to keep myself in a safe place- emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually and financially too.

I hope that you can take advantage of this 'break' to make some changes to help yourself, because as so many here know- it's one of the most difficult things to love an active alcholic or addict.

Take care...