View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by Osakis View Post
It's not an ideal solution - we couldn't get him into the programs that we feel would help him most (it's critical that his treament address his anxiety issues, which are his trigger for drinking). Not surprisingly, the best places don't accept "charity cases" like my brother. Would love to get him into Hazelden, but no dice.
I hope your brother is able to take something away from treatment, but I also hope you bear in mind this is the 4th time around for him. Even the 'best' places aren't going to do one whit of good if he's not serious about recovery.

As for his anxiety issues, I found for myself that the further I progressed in my recovery from alcoholism, the more my anxiety issues dissapated. My first year sober was an emotional roller coaster and I had a lot of anxiety. Actually I had a lot of anxiety the first two years, but you know what? It didn't kill me, and I walked through it as opposed to drinking.

I know for me, as a recovering codependent also, I have to be really careful about thinking I always know what's best for someone else because that often isn't the case. Usually deep underneath those thoughts of what is best for someone else is what would make me feel better. Just some food for thought.

:ghug :ghug