View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SHAMAN

JW,

I've had more than one addict effect my life and was also a CD counselor in the past. I don't have a crystal ball by any means, but my instints tell me, from what you've posted, that someone may be looking to pick a fight for a couple of reasons.

1) If she truly is clean, she may be a wee-bit irritable because she's being 'forced' clean and can't do as she pleases, which is use. I know personally, my perceptions are skewed when I'm irritable.

2) Picking a fight is a common dynamic of addiction as it is a great excuse to use.

I know I've fallen into this trap on more than one occasion. For example, my ex held resentments against me because she felt 'forced' to meet her adult/relationship responsibilities and contributed to moving expenses when we moved. I offered thanks for the help but evidently didn't 'raise the flag' high enough. I never received any thanks for having paid the entire down payment on the new home... and that's just how addiction is. I now see that her entitlement and my 'interference' in her managing her hidden addiction only heightened the demise. It was one instance of justifying the use, I believe.

Point is, only you can decide what you can live with the next two weeks. Addiction is pathological, meaning it isn't always personal... it's just what addicts do. They often don't have a master plan beyond continuing to use or avoiding the emotions, which leads to the kinds of situations you're seeing. As the stickie says, it's just what addicts do.

My only suggestion is to spend some time with you and discover what will bring peace to your life. There is absolutely nothing wrong in standing firm in what you believe and value. For me, I have to understand who I am and what I TRULY value... then I can take others reactions and what they may-or-may-not do out of the equation.

Many Blessings,
Shaman