View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Vitamins, Herbs, and Supplements

After years of continued reading and research, I can say conclusively that bipolar disorder and its symptoms cannot be cured with vitamins or supplements. This does not stop manufacturers and salespeople from making claims, however. It is your job to find out enough about bipolar disorder and health supplements that you can take advantage of any health benefits they might provide without being scammed. Always beware of magazines, websites, and practitioners who derive income from the sale of the products that they recommend.

What is the simplest vitamin program that you recommend?
I recommend a simple and inexpensive supplement plan to promote general health. "Once daily" type vitamins are available by brand name or as generic store brands in most drugstores and supermarkets. I recommend taking two of these "once daily" vitamins every morning for your general nutrition. This should help ensure that your body is getting plenty of vitamins without going overboard.

Are there effective herbal treatments for bipolar disorder? Are they safe?
There have been claims that evening primrose oil (EPO) may be of some help in decreasing the fatigue of bipolar depression, but none of my patients ever felt it was helpful enough to continue taking it. Many of my patients are taking omega fatty acids and fish oil supplements. These may be helpful for general cardiac health but they have never been shown to benefit bipolar disorder.

Most herbs do have side effects and potential interactions with other medications and other supplements. It depends on the situation and the dose. Check with your doctor first to see if a specific herbal product will worsen your condition or interact with the medications you take.

Are the herbs and supplements sold on the internet safe for me to buy?
Much of the information about herbal remedies on the internet and from other sources can be confusing and misleading. The best reference I have found is the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database at http://www.naturaldatabase.com Their service is somewhat expensive but maybe you could get your doctor to sign up and let you use the service. Buying herbs or supplements on the internet can also be dangerous, as you never know exactly what is in the supplements you are buying. Talk to your doctor about which brands are reliable.

Several health professionals have offered to sell me glandular extracts for mood and energy. Do they work?
Dried preparations of cow and pig glands have been promoted for years but usually have little potency. Besides, the whole thing sounds disgusting to me.

Is there any problem if I take large amounts of vitamin A (beta-carotene)?
Taking too much vitamin A can be harmful, particularly to your liver. Major studies suggest that beta-carotene can increase your risk of getting lung cancer. And there is at least one account in the literature of a person who died from eating prodigious amounts of vitamin A. So, do not go overboard. Talk with your doctor about finding the dosage for your needs.

I have heard that Saint-John's-wort is an effective treatment for depression. Is it effective for those with bipolar depression?
Saint-John's-wort (Hypericum perforatum) has been widely used in Europe and even in the United States as a natural treatments for unipolar major depression. However, the jury is still out on its effectiveness. A large, well controlled United States study found no benefit for depression. Some of my bipolar patients have reported feeling edgy and anxious when taking the herb.

If you decide to try Saint-John's-wort, consult with your family doctor or psychiatrist first. Saint-John's-wort has numerous counter-indications and drug interactions, and it may make the skin more vulnerable to sun and thus to skin cancer.

My brother takes ginseng for energy. Is this stuff any good for bipolar?
Panax ginseng is promoted as a stimulant with many health benefits. However, its stimulant actions may be bad for bipolar disorder. I know of one report where a man took moderate doses of Panax ginseng that triggered a pschotic, manic episode so severe that he had to go to the hospital.

My sports doctor recommended high colonics to take out the poisons that cause bipolar disorder. Are there any dangers to this?
I know of no poisons that cause bipolar disorder. Historically, enemas have been promoted for a wealth of physical and mental problems, but there is no evidence for their effectiveness with bipolar disorder.