View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Welcome! I am so glad you came here to SR. Keep coming back!
As for your Mother, there is nothing you can do. My problems were similar to yours. I started tooting coke when I was 12, smoking pot, hitting acid, and drinking until I got pregnant at age 15, by my dealer boyfriend. Yeah, I got my drugs free too. I thought it was THE LIFE!
Once pregnant, I quit, cold turkey. Almost 17 years, no drugs. I drank sometimes, when both of my children were older. A beer with my burger and fries, or a strawberry daiquiri with my nicer dinners. A wine cooler with my friends. Nothing more.
Until my eldest turned 16 (he's now 18! I threw away 2 years of life with him, UGH!). Then I met this man, through a mutual friend. Our friend said he needed a woman to look after him. I was ready for that role by golly. With my ex, we'd get drunk all the time. Then, one night, in his bedroom, I caught him smoking crack. I went ballistic. I asked how could he do such an awful, awful drug. Didn't he know how addictive it was? How expensive it was? How it could kill him? He said he only did it once in a while, to party. I didn't know any better, but I was not that naive. There was NO party. He was ALONE, in his bedroom, trying to hide from me. I knew the signs. I tried to ignore it at first. Then I tried to "fix him or help him fix himself". Each time, he'd get mad, settle down, and offer it for me to try it and see how I like it. Eventually, you know what happened? I tried it. And the rest was history.
I am in the NA too. You DO have a family there. You will have one here too. You already know you cannot control your mom, but you also know she is not good for your daughter while in her active addiction either.
My mother is bipolar. Sometimes it is too much for me to be around her. I want to use in order to deal with her and all the medications she is on, but I am grateful for her. She's, sometimes almost to the point of insanity (she actually cashed in one of her annuities and told me she'd keep it in the house, in a suitcase- 6 figures we're talking here- and I asked her if she had a large life insurance policy on me or something because leaving that much money in the house would be way more temptation than I could stand, as I live with her and she took my advice and put it in the bank!).
Anyway, WELCOME to SR. Your mom will, hopefully, see how much better your life is becoming by staying clean! Maybe she will come around and want what you have! Just pray for her and keep coming back!