View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
joedris

Alcoholism is a disease, but one which no one understands. What makes me unable to stop drinking when the fellow next to me can be perfectly satisfied with leaving half his drink on the bar is beyond me. The trouble with alcoholism is that there's not even a commonly accepted definition of the disease. Go to Google and list "definition of alcoholism" and you'll get 170,000 hits, none of which agree. There is one common thread, however. Alcoholism is a primary disease (nothing causes alcoholism but alcohol), progressive, chronic, and fatal. It will kill you.
I'm an alcoholic, but I didn't stand in line waiting to be born and go over to the table where it said "Want to be an alcoholic? Sign up here." I didn't ask for it nor am I responsible for being an alcoholic. I am responsible, however, for what I do as an alcoholic.
All this really means is nothing more than the fact that I cannot drink. The only good thing about alcoholism is that it's treatable. The most successful treatment program is AA. It's a very simple program, but it's also very difficult. Go to meetings, lots of them.
Find a sponsor. Work the 12 steps. Be patient, miracles don't happen overnight. I guarantee you that if you do all of these things the promises of AA will come true.