View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Absolutely (in my opinion)

But, like was mentioned two alcoholics can produce a "normie" and two normies can produce an alcoholic, horrific broken homes have produced non alcoholic children, while healthy nurturing homes with no alcoholism have produced alcoholics.

Strangely enough, quite often the people raised in healthy happy homes with no alcoholism that feel they "had it out of the gate" subscribe to the "genetic" explanation frequently. They feel there is no other explanation.

Many sober alcoholics believe that they were alcoholic well before they ever took their first drink, as in they had a set of "symptoms" that alcohol alleviated then alcohol itself became "the problem" then they had to address both, while many feel they "crossed an invisible line" and drank themselves into alcoholism.

Personally I think I was born with this thing, I started drinking alcoholically at age ten, I don't think any amount of "strength of character" would have allowed me to "avoid" alcoholism any more then a ten year old with tuberculosis could have "avoided" contracting Tuberculosis. Drugs and alcohol allowed me to feel "normal" for the first time in my life and alleviated the terror I lived with from infancy.

Truthfully, in actual "sobriety" in most cases not too much time is spent on the "why's", it's spent on the "well I have this thing, what do I do now?" a lesson we could very well learn here ourselves.