View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dolce7dolore

You've obviously already received a ton of good advice, but I thought I'd respond to a comment you made.

Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I haven't had a friend over in months, because he drinks. His doctors have already told him he drinks too much, and he's going to die because of it, but does that matter? Not to him. I guess his family doesn't matter, and that makes me even more angry, because I am his family, and he just doesn't give a damn.
I'm assuming you're either in high school or graduated recently and are stuck living at home. Please don't think that you and your family do not matter. It's taken me a very long time (still in the process!) to realize that it is not within the alcoholic's control to stop. You haven't elaborated on your situation (correct me if I'm wrong) but from what I've seen and read, most alcoholics are in extreme denial. It doesn't matter how much proof you can give them. For instance, one time my brother and I taped 25 empty beer cans to the kitchen table after just one night of my parent's binge drinking. Nothing works. The many nights I spent screaming at them to stop, saying that they didn't really love me, that they should choose me over the beer, were pointless. It's a hard thing to wrap your head around, but alcoholics don't think like healthy people. They don't understand the harm they do to others, or they choose not to see it. It most likely isn't that your father (?) doesn't care or that you don't matter to him, it's just that he can't stop his addiction. Alcoholics will stop at nothing to feed their addiction.