View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
anonlily
Paused

Need some insight on things?

I know there isn't a magical equation to answer every problem but I wanted to see what you guys think on some things. I know someone can't TELL me what the right thing to do is, I just want to hear about other people's experiences and thoughts.

I'm the one telling my A that he shouldn't be drinking but what do I do if I want to drink a few every now and then. I'm not the one with the drinking problem but isn't it hypocritical to turn around and do what your asking him NOT to do?

And what if the A says he's changing and is going to counseling and taking the steps to change but wants to have a few drinks. He's not getting drunk, he's not spending every dime on booze, he's not staying out at all hours of the night, he's not being verbally abusive...you guys get the drift. But he still wants to socially drink. Can an A handle that? Or do most of the time do they go back to their old ways?

What if his ENTIRE family and nearly every friend is an A? I'm not exaggerating. He can't swear off every family member and every friend. And every one of them will say "come have a drink with me" "one won't hurt". I know the A has to be responsibile for his own actions and make his own decisions but is it a good idea to encourage the A not to be around those people? How do you tell someone they should NOT spend time with their mom, dad, grandma, brother, sister and the list can go on and on.........

Thanks for listening and thanks for the insights!

Last edited by anonlily; 05-06-2004 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo