View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cab31

Its a natural part of recovery not being able to sleep. Its because alchohol abuse has lead to an imbalance in your glutimate system in your brain. Basically alcohol is a depressant and due to this the body has produced more excitory neurotransmitters to balance out all the alcohol you have been drinking. When you stop drinking all of a sudden there is too much excitation in the brain and this is why you struggle with sleep and also why some people have seizures etc. The good news is that it returns to normal over time and there are some drugs that can help it if it is really bothering you.

I have always been an insomniac and i have found that hypnotherapy CDs can help. Really listening to your body and making sure that you try to go to sleep during the short period of fatigue you have every 90 mins or so can help. Also never lay in bed for more than thirty mins if you cant sleep. Get back up and do something else then try again later. Most importantly dont panic! You will be able to function tomorrow no matter how little sleep you get. And it always makes me feel good to know that i am not alone and that there are heaps of people out there that are struggling to get to sleep.