View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hiding

Originally Posted by dolce7dolore View Post
I wrote my dad an email last night after writing this. I just couldn't stop myself. I asked him why no one ever stood up for me, why they laughed along, why they just watched me being treated so badly. He hasn't responded. I don't like laying the guilt on my father, he never treats me the way my uncle did, but I guess I just feel betrayed and I'm looking for answers. Maybe answers that I'll never have. I just feel some sort of injustice when he asks me to go out there again, tells me that my uncle is family and deserves my respect.
I think you did the right thing. I understand why you feel bad about challenging your dad but it seems as if his ignoring the situation hurts more than your uncle's behaviour. You've got an opportunity to try to deal with it and it's great that you were brave enough to take it.

I can't say why your dad did it but my guess is that he decided a long time ago to treat bullying as teasing because it was easier for him that way. My fingers are crossed that your email to him will wake him up and stop him from taking the easy way out and ignoring the pain you're in. :ghug3

You could always ask him if he would have stood by when you were a kid if a playground bully was saying the same things to you. A kid wouldn't get away with that kind of thing. What makes your dad think an adult should?

Please don't let yourself be conned into accepting the old arguments dolce. Respect should be earned. AF demands respect without doing anything to earn it. The same thing goes with your uncle. Having spent more years on this earth than you doesn't entitle him to respect. Has he ever done anything to earn your respect?

Last edited by hiding; 04-07-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo