View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by PoetryandHums View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm pretty much brand new here. I am 21, living at college and away from my alcoholic (and abusive) parents. I'm really just starting to sort through the ways that my identity and behavior has been affected by growing up around all that, and also dealing with my relationship to my family now, and the ways that I relate to 3rd party drinking (interestingly, there's a fair amount of that in college). My therapist suggested I check out an Al-anon meeting,which I'm planning to do, but I like to know as much as possible about a situation before going in to it (go figure ) and since it seems like many of you have participated in Al-anon or similar meetings, I was wondering if anyone could help with these questions:

1-I would have to leave a little bit early...the meeting ends at 1, and I have to leave about 12:50. Would that be a problem?

2-I don't think I'm going to feel like talking. I understand that this is ok, right?

3-There's a high probability that I'll see people I know...the meeting is practically on campus. This doesn't bother me, but I'm curious about etiquette. Is it appropriate to greet or sit next to a familiar face?

4-I am Jewish, and have no problem with the idea of talking about a higher power, but feel a little iffy about prayer that is from the Christian tradition. Would respectful silence be ok?

Thanks a ton!
welcome!!!

No. You could mention that-even if you weren't planning on talking-when it's your turn to speak.

Yes

Yes. But don't be surprised if you never meet anyone from the 'outside'.

Yes