View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The actual advice USED TO BE:

"No major CHANGES the first year."

Now this included job changes unless the job was toxic to one's sobriety, living arrangements, unless they were toxic to ones sobriety, not getting into a relationship if one was not in one, and not getting out of a relationship if one was in one, unless it was toxic to one's sobriety.

The reasoning behind this was simple ............................ all of the above gave the alcoholic and/or addict something other than one's self to concentrate on, as we all, or most of us can be 'side tracked' so easy.

The harder we work on ourselves, especially that first year, the more aware we become of our OWN faults and missteps, and hopefully by all this hard work will become a better employee, employer, partner, etc

It is still up to you as an individual as to what you do. It is not written in stone.

However, I will tell you, that in all my years in recovery, I have seen a lot more obtain and maintain sobriety, when they wait the year or longer, that I have seen make 'it' that have jumped into a relationship in that first year.

J M H O

Love and hugs,