Thread: The hard part
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dolce7dolore

First of all, I want to say that I think it's great that you're in an accelerated grad program. Writing a thesis on adult-children must be pretty tough. Did you choose it? Anyway, it sounds like I'm in about the same stage of recovery as you, so I don't know how much advice I can give, but maybe it'll be encouraging to hear from someone else?

Like you, I started facing ACoA issues about a year ago and have been going up and down. It wasn't until this January when I actually sought out counseling. I'm pretty sure I hit an emotional bottom for an entire weekend two months ago. I couldn't stop crying and I've never felt so horrible in my entire life to be honest. I don't know whether everyone hits this place, but I know that I did. For me, it was a realization that this was my life, that this happened to me. I'd played a part for so d**n long, and I realized that it was me crying on that bed watching my mother walk away from me when I asked for help, not some fictional character. I was emotionally detached from that situation I described and from others (probably still). I couldn't stop crying for three days and I've never felt so horrible in my entire life to be honest. It was enlightening and rather sad because as I went through this, I realized that my bad habits of isolating myself came into play. I was in a terrible state, and I hid it so well from my roommate that she never could have guessed. And how sad, to be in that much pain and not to even tell her that I was in a "bad mood". I realized soon after that for the first time I wanted to change that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it wasn't the end of the world and it didn't ruin my life. Sure, I missed one class and called in sick from work (things I rarely do normally) but life went on. It sounds like you're a very determined and hard-working person. I am too but realized that I couldn't take the easy way out and just fake it anymore. As for the happy ending part, I'm still working on it. However, for instance, I'm considering the idea of for once in my life talking about my feelings and emotions. Haven't gotten there yet or really had someone there for me yet, but I never used to have that desire or courage and I feel like I do now.