View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paintbaby

I'm in the same boat as you, C. I know how much it hurts. What has helped me is accepting the fact that I cannot be with the man I love. It doesn't make me love him any less, but I have to love him from a distance.

I can accept that I LOVE. Love is never wrong, or wasted--it just shows that you have a working, open, human heart. But when that loves starts to cause pain to ourselves, because the one we love is an alcoholic who just doesn't see, and can't give back to us what WE need (and yes, those are valid needs)--well, then it is time to detach with love. For OURSELVES.

Accept that you love him, and may very well love him for some time yet. Then put that away in your heart, do it from a distance, refocus on you and the things that bring you actual joy (remember joy?), and let your healing begin.

I love my alcoholic, too. But he just couldn't love me back the way I deserved to be loved, or even himself. And I can't do it for him.

There is no shortage of love. It will come again for you, in a much healthier and fulfilling form. Promise.