Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
gerryP

Hey Irish Malcolm,

I spent 2 years and 7 months in AA up until a year ago and remain sober. I have also read the Orange site from beginning to end and continue to as he begins to publish more letters.

I am all for anyone who any chooses any program that works well for them including AA as I believe that AA provides much more to many people than the indoctrination of the 12 steps. I think belonging to a group, making friends, feeling valued through doing service work, no longer being isolated can go a long way in keeping some sober. While I was in the program, I saw many people going through the motions because gaining the benefits above is what was keeping them sober more than anything else. Like AA toutes, "Fake it till you make it."

As far as the Orange papers site goes, I disagree with you when you say that orange "does not publish any letters that confront or dispel his entrenched views", quite to the contrary. Many of the letters are from those who are angry and threatened by his site and confront him on much of what the BB says and the 12 and 12. He always goes through each line of each letter and provides arguments based on countless hours of research that he has spent years engaging. I might also add that he is not relaying "his opinions presenting them as fact". I see that being done by the angry threatened writers. Their views seem to be about "It's in the B.B therefore it's right" It is NOT to be questioned as though it is sacred.

Once again, I think everyone should participate in whatever program works for them if they choose to participate in a program.