View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
grayhair

I'm new: Coping with wife's drinking

We have been married for 6 years and over the past couple she has progressively gotten worse. Last Friday night was the topper. She went out with a friend to a art exhibit and called me at 3 am, incoherent and lost. We don't live in a huge city and she was born and raised here. She said a tire blew out but upon arrival it was obvious she had hit something. Because of her state of mind she couldn't give me any information on where she was. I spent the next 3 hours driving around looking for her. All the while she was verbally abusive "why can't you find me are you stupid?" -- "if u r not here in 5 minutes I'm divorcing you" - "I'm going to call my dad and he's gonna take care of you"....you get the point.

We have had a few discussions recently about her inability to drink without getting drunk. One glass of wine seems to be not enough but two is too many. Once she gets the second glass down her its all down hill from there.

She admits to having issues with stopping after 2 drinks. When she hits this point she is nice, fun, friendly to everyone else except me. Anytime we go out the minute we get home she begins nit picking everything I have done or not done over the years we've been together.

After the other night she said she was going to stop drinking all together. Past conversations have led her to say she won't drink more than one drink but if I'm not around she doesn't stick to it. Rather she will lie about it then when I know without a doubt in my mind she is loaded I call her out on it. then let the screaming begin.

She is a wonderful person full of life and positive people around her. Will she really stop drinking or is this just what she says until a month or two down the road when she decides that one drink would be okay then one leads to 2 and the cycle begins again.

Sorry for the lengthy rant here I don't have anyone else to talk to about this and getting it out feels very good.

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated.