Thread: ACA = ACoA ??
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Yes it is, just came out last year after a _long_ time geting written. Seems like all us dysfunctional people couldn't quite agree on what we wanted to say in a book * lol *

Al-anon meetings pass around a calendar and they know _months_ ahead who is going to be leading and what the topic is going to be.
Sometimes they drive me nuts! My Al-Anon group is SO averse to doing ANYthing that might conCEIVably hurt ANYone's feelings, that it's tough to get stuff done. Three consecutive group consciences must be taken to decide whether we're going to add an extra sentence discouraging crosstalk to the welcome message. Three more group consciences to decide if we add another sentence clarifying what is and is not considered crosstalk, or to have someone make a little sign saying "Please Keep Statements In 'I' Form."

You can imagine how many group consciences and business meetings were required to decide that, rather than move to the upstairs room which, although nicely appointed, was not as big as the church-basement room in which we had been meeting, we would, in the end, opt to stay in the basement, because of its higher seating capacity. As it turns out, this was a good decision, because attendance has been rising -- thanks in part to an anniversary party with AA and Al-Anon speakers, as well as food, beverages, and a raffle. Which, of course, required several business meetings -- after which the treasurer's (yours truly) fiscal guidelines as to how much to spend on the party were blatantly ignored! :wtf2

I happen to have stumbled upon one of the more structured ACA meetings -- we are reading the Big Book from cover to cover, a few pages each week. As of now, we recently finished the sections on the 12 steps, and are now going through the parts where they talk about the Inner Child (or True Self, which I like better). It's good stuff, but intense!

T