Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
frazzled73

Question Trying to set boundaries, am i being too hard?

I kicked my alcoholic husband out a week ago. I couldn't take the emotional abuse anymore and my 8 year old son deserves more from me than what i was giving him since i was so drained and depressed all the time. My husband says he knows he has a problem but other times he says its not that bad and there's nothing wrong with having a drink here and there. i'm about to the point of just filing for divorce and calling it the end becuz its so frustrating when he doesn't understand or see what he's put us through. I tried setting a boundary with him, i told him as long as he's been drinking i don't want to be around him, even if he just had one or two. He ended up coming over 3 nites out of the week after he'd been drinking and i had to argue with him and send him away. Yesterday he spent the day with me and didn't drink, so i thought. I found out at the end of the day that everytime he left he drank a beer or two. Today I tried explaining to him again my boundary, he had just come from the bar. He doesn't get it, he says he only had like 4 or 5 beers and he wasn't going to be mean so whats the prob? Am I being unreasonable or unfair? I just don't want to take any chances of going through the name calling, put downs and arguements anymore and i feel this is a way to keep that from happening.