View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
RufusACanal

Uniqueness as I use the term is to defuse the idea that the suffering Drunk is somehow significantly different, hurt or alone compared to any other human in life; the Alcoholics separation is self induced. Alcoholism works the same way in every human being; given enough time it destroys everything. Grain, beverage Alcohol is a solvent and it does destroy brain tissue at an alarming rate; no wonder I have lingering physical and emotional issues that result in daily medication and a regimented lifestyle. Left untreated, I would return to my old life rather quickly; I knew because I have completed all the research one life can forgive.

As a human being, I am unique; there is only one of me. As an Alcoholic who lived in active Alcoholism for decades, I am not unique; I am no different than any other Alcoholic who has found a solution.

When I read through the posts in this thread, I see hope for new lives everywhere. I also see those who refuse to accept that no one is to blame for their disease or their recovery except themselves. Some members wallow in self pity, some in defiance and others sing the party line, but all will come to terms with their disease, either active or in remission, either in life or in death. If you can get past the blaming, you might truly find hope.

Mortality is the most basic of life's truths; we all die. I choose to live for as long as life will have me and while I live, I will enlarge this life with hope, learning and joy to the best of my ability. For you see, I no longer have anyone to blame, they are all gone.

As a Funeral Director, I weekly see the results of active Alcoholism as the decedents pass through our company. From babies to the elderly, accident victims,terminally health victims, suicide victims and murder victims; all because Alcoholism touched their life. Maybe I have become callous to the cries of death or maybe I am resigned to a reality where each individual is finally responsible for their own life. I choose to leave it with something greater than I and I find a measure of peace.