Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Barbara52

Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
It is just so hard because he is verging on black mailing me, saying that if I don't give him another chance then there is no point of doing it at and even no point to life. If i remain strong and keep my distance how do i live with myself if i am the reason that he didn't carry on recovering?

NO! You aren't that powerful. If he drinks, its because he chooses to drink. If he chooses to seek sobriety, it because he chooses to do so.

You cannot control him, you cannot cure him, you cannot change him. Only he can do that. ANd from where I sit, if he is making comments like that, well he is just not serious about seeking sobreity. An A has to want sobriety in their gut if they are going to succeed. If he is trying to blame you or make you responsible for what he chooses to do or not do, he is not serious.

So you get to decide if this is what you want in your life. Do you want an active alcoholic and all that can mean? Do you want someone who tries to blackmail you into staying with them? Do you want to put your own needs and wants on the back burner to deal with his manipulations?