View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

I almost feel that I should apologize for responding to this thread because it looks as if it is about to die a natural death.

But I did want to say something about MY experience. In AA (I know, I know, many are anti), there is a saying in the traditions "Principles before personalities". This has become a very important block in my recovery foundation. I have truly found that the more I can practice this principle the more I am IN recovery. The more that I have trouble with this principle, the farther OUT of recovery I am. If you work at it, you can find something valuable in something that almost every recovering addict/alcoholic says. But it is also very easy to see and focus on the differences. This does not help me to get well. It keeps me sick. Thinking that I am unique and different, keeps me isolated, alone and sick.

Again, I am speaking for myself. But I work VERY hard at this. Seeing myself as "unique" and "different" and "sensitive" is what allowed me to relapse 11 years ago and stay out there for a decade before I came back. I will NOT let that happen again.

I wish you peace and solid recovery, no matter what anyone else says or does in your life!