View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

I'm going to throw in my two cents here, and it probably won't be popular either.

I think it's a mixed message to say someone is making bad choices, but doesn't know any better.

I didn't get into recovery myself from my own addictions/alcoholism till my oldest was eight. My youngest daughter was born two years later.

I've tried really hard in my parenting since then to instill the concept of personal accountability.

Children can learn simple concepts of right and wrong at a very early age.

My youngest recently started babysitting for a couple with four children, the youngest being a 9 month old boy. She said the first time she told him 'no' (I think he was reaching for something he shouldn't have), it was obvious he had never even heard the word, let alone know what it means.

Now he understands the word 'no' when he is reaching for something he shouldn't through repetition and either removing the object, or moving his hand away from it.

I had commented in another thread recently about the fact that although there is still some stigma attached to addiction/alcoholism, there is no excuse for any addict/alcoholic to walk around thinking there's no solution out there. Rehabs are everywhere. There's AA, NA, CA, etc etc. IOP, counseling, other resources are widely available.

So to imply that an active addict is in fact making bad choices but doesn't know better is teaching that child that we are not accountable for the choices we make, in my opinion.

There's my two cents, which is not worth much in today's stinking economy.