Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OhBrother

two steps forward for sister, and one step back

Haven't posted in a while since its actually been a quiet few months on the recovering addict sister (RAD?) front.
24 weeks pregnant now, on a stable methadone dose (for oxycontin), making her weekly counselling appointments, going to work regularly...all wonderfully crisis free.

Well until this Thursday, when she decided to shoplift. Argh. And when they ran her name they found an old (last December) warrant for yet more prescription fraud, so had to arrest her and hold her overnight. She was out the next day, but will now have to explain herself again to the courts.

As frustrating as it is that she'd do something as dumb as try to shoplift, I actually find myself relieved that the prescription fraud is old, from within a few weeks of her starting her rehab program. It took some time to find a methadone dose that worked.

I also tell myself that 4 or 5 months is not going to undo more than 10 years of awful behaviour patterns: the lying, thefts, etc that an addict has to do to survive. Still a lot of work to do.

It was sad sitting in bail court waiting for her turn though. It was a constant stream of women brought through, all different ages, and all in pretty rough shape. Not one other person was there in court to see any of them, and other than my sister none of them even seemed upset to be there. Having been on this site a while, I got wondering about all the families they must have out there somewhere.