Thread: Decision
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Thank you to everyone who read and answered my post. I need to clarify that, though I consider myself in recovery, I haven't been sober for that whole time. I find myself able to drink every now and then without running into trouble. But that's exactly why I posted: I'm tired of doing that. It is time to draw a line and set some limitations for myself.

@Phaleron: I do agree. Having a routine is useful at this point; everything is changing so much, I'm changing so much... that having some measure of predictability is a relief. I've started writing down my goals in my journal.

@Paper Dolls: It's all about being conscious - living in the now and being aware of the consequences of our actions.

@HideorSeek: Agreed. I think that "reacting" is usually a desperate fight or flight action. Responding includes mindfulness

@Astro: in my experience, procrastination is definitely a sign of trouble! If I keep putting off doing stuff, it's because I'm doubting my actions, or plain scared.

@Anna: thanks for the advice! You really spelled out how to make a decision in a way that seems gentle. Fear is a biggie. I think that, where there is love, there is no place for fear.

@Stoney: I think that commitment is a huge key. Making a conscious decision is a relief, and sticking to it makes it count I really admire your honesty.

@Hevyn: Thanks for your honesty. Being scared of where my life was headed is what finally broke me.

@MLe: a routine doesn't have to be boring! I'm very mental, so action is a big challenge for me. I really need to keep that in mind.

@Carol: clarity is SO underrated, lol. Making lists is very helpful.

@Taz: Wow, your comments really hit home. I AM my worst critic. Being afraid of failure freezes me into non-action; setting unachievable goals only compounds the problem. Being more understanding of myself - without being overly-lenient- is the way to go. Realizing that we're not supposed to be perfect is a cornerstone of recovery.

@Coffee: Change is the word. I've been feeling so aimless lately.. Thanks for pointing out that we all have our time needs, it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed.

Okay, I'm glad I started this thread! Your input has been invaluable. You have all helped me question and discover my priorities. Thank you so much -- Matt - not so undecided anymore.