Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My house has been alcohol free since I quit, mostly. I still have listerine, and vanilla extract.. I could probably scrounge up some expired orange juice. I've never used them to get drunk, I'd never think of it. When I first read your post I was thinking "yeah! wife supports this, and offers to throw it out, that's easy!". Why WOULD you keep it around if it's even worth bringing up here?

My house has to be my safe zone, because nowhere else is.

I'm a bit confused as to why your wife is trying to convince you to drink? That just kinda baffles me.. If I had to fight that fight IN my house? oh man... Not only tempting you, but then arguing with your not wanting to drink.. yikes. Have you had a talk with her that you are NEVER drinking again? Are some doors left open in terms of "one day maybe"? I think if you make a solid committment to yourself that never means never, and explain to her about how much that means to you and to NOT tempt you (again baffled here...), she might understand a bit more.. And why is your son jumping into this or even part of it.. I don't understand how that is appropriate at all, what a heavy burden on a child (adult child even..)..I don't know what I would have done if my parents had involved me at all when they quit, other than telling me they quit.

Stay strong.. I hope it gets easier at home. You might have left some 'doors' open about your future and drinking, not sure, but if you want to quit and quit for good, and wife is willing to forego the wine at home, by all means, pour it out...why keep it?