Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
These are very rare things. No offense, but especially with the "after 5pm" comment I would be suspecting vodka/drugs first, incredibly rare medical conditions second. I doubt hepatic encephalopathy switches itself on every day at the cocktail hour.
If they want help, they should see a doctor.
I had to bite my tongue (that is, keyboard) to avoid making roughly the same comment yesterday!

If it's some rare disease, which causes all these symptoms to kick in like clockwork at 5:00 despite total sobirety -- or if it's just the booze talking, the point is that we are powerless over people, places, and things. We do not have the ability to change people's behavior. I almost lost one when I got into the program -- she went into the hospital with a platelet count of 2, was in intensive care for a week, then went to treatment for several months, thanks in part to an intervention but thanks mostly to the fact that SHE decided to get healthy. It's painful to watch someone self-destruct -- but if they're determined to do it, we're powerless to stop it.

T