View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Hi Lucy

My ex girlfriends brother has been to rehab several times, he is now 46! Comes out last time straight back on the booze, but continues to see one of the counselor's from the rehab centre one on one, a session a week. Long story short he just suddenly stopped drinking and gambling and continues to go to the counselor for weekly counselling. His family is happy but at the same time a little pissed off to be honest, all that support and time and visits to rehab and he just sudenly stops?! I think something just clicked for him, now he is back at work and is a lot better after 8 months sober in the real world.

It was easy, for him, in rehab to stay sober 6 months as they don't let you leave and they don't sell booze there! I guess if you don't work the programme properly you come out and go staright back to the bar! What we can't determine though, in the case of my exgf brother, is whether rehab might have actually saved his life as the time he spent in there was time not drinking and he was an extreme alcoholic, maybe if he hadn't done the 6 month stints he would be 6 ft under?

Hope your son finds some peace and a solution for him soon! You are right though, you can't help him and in answer to your question about why, after 8 months, it's easier to drink than working towards continued sobriety is in your question i'm afraid...it's just the easy option!

Take care

Cliff