View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jamdls

For me mostly just waking up in the morning without a hangover is all I need to remind me how grateful I am for my sobriety and how proud I am of myself. Sharing at meetings or just with co-workers or friends also lifts me up tremendously. My co-workers mostly weren't aware of my alcoholism but most all know that I am now in recovery because yes I do brag about it!

Within just a couple of months of getting sober I was offered the opportunity to do the administrative work for a group that is essentially AA and NA for professionals within the particular professional sector that I work in. We get referrals from the State Board for people applying for licenses in the profession that have past DUI's, PI, violent acts ect. and in order for them to sit for the exams to obtain their license they have to meet with one of the volunteers in the program. The volunteers in the program are all recovering addicts/alcoholics etc who are themselves professionals in this field. I was and still am very proud to have been offered the opportunity because I could not do this work if I was still drinking. Working with this group is an ongoing reminder of how far I've come and I am not going backwards.