View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
PurpleWilder

I hear ya...read on....

sorry to say, success in the business world is set up so that you can't make it unless you are willing to engage in some very unhealthy behavior patterns. And if you are the boss, it is that behavior you are expected to emulate in order to "fit with the program".

Here is the situation I have now.

My hourly manager took me aside last month and told me that the assistant manager of my store told her that he had a list of 4 people he wanted fired and she was to help him do it. How? By giving them work loads or deadlines beyond their capabilities, scrutinizing their work more often and with more detail than others, etc. She protested, but was told she would have to assist him in this or she too would face "corrective action".

Fast forward to last night. Same hourly manager took her aside and said, "I want you to put DirtMagnet (not my work name, of course :ghug2) and this other person in this department together. When they fail, I want them both written up and out the door TONIGHT because I consider them both to be underperformers." How do I know this? Because my hourly manager told me - she is looking for another job and is planning on filiing an ethical claim against the company as soon as another job comes through.

I'm almost too seized with fear to go into work anymore. It reminds me of living with my ex - no matter how well I did or my attitute about it, it didn't matter because I was on the "s**t list". My only defense here is to work at the tip-top of my capabilites - doing a good job here is my only defense. Other times in this department alone, I met my deadlines and audits were fine. Last night, I get a partner who did a sloppy job (even after I told her the possible consequences) so I will probably getting terminated for her bad performance. Even though I made clear to my hourly manager which parts of the workload were mine and which were hers, and it was hers that was brought into question later in the night.

Mind you, I am working to re-enter the professional field as soon as my youngest is going to school full time (this August - finally!) but it both makes me very angry and scares the h**l out of me that I can't win this one.

Maybe this is off-topic - I just can't believe I extracated myself from this crap in my PERSONAL life to run smack into again in my WORKING life. But maybe recognizing this is progress....but that won't pay the bills.