View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
guiab
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

Dolce,
Yes, meetings are there for sharing experiences, but as tromboneliness pointed out, there is more to it.
Sharing is just part of the process. The process, the thing we want and need, is recovery from the effects of growing up in an alcoholic home.

You said you are not positive, and that is OK, but do you believe that you could become more positive? Are there habits and ways of thinking (as in that list of ACOA characteristics in the stickies) that you have and would like to get rid of?

Think of it this way:
Do you want to change?
Five years from now, if someone came to you with an experience like yours, could you be the kind of person who could give some good advice?

If it is a yes to change, then you are asking for a Recovery. Recovery takes work, and some of that work takes time and is not fun. Actually some of it really sucks and can be painful. But you get to put behind you the cr** you grew up with and bring out the great person inside you.
Basically, you have to do some brain surgery on yourself, and it is not something you really ought to do without some help. That is where stuff like the 12 steps and/or therapy comes in. Its has worked for a lot of people and I certainly can't come up with anything better (and I have tried - oh yeah have I tried).

The idea is to take little steps forward. I like to hear someone sharing but I also need to hear how that sharing fits into their recovery, how it is a little step forward. Its just something ya gotta have.
Frankly, I will take a meeting of gays/lesbians (been there), or a bunch of wives (been there), or dung-worshiping wiccans (not yet), where people are talking about little imperfect steps of progress, over a share-fest (been there, more like a yawn-fest) of my peers.
This, again, is just my lame ol' opinion.