View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

I didn't really give out any advice that you wouldn't hear from a naturopathic doctor. Or, from a regular doctor that truly understands addictive disease and alcoholism.
Telling people they are not clean and sober if they take their prescribed medications *is* playing doctor; it *is* hurting/killing people; and it *is* wrong!

As for my own experience with benzos, here it is. I've been prescribed xanax for over 14 years. I take them as needed. It's very very seldom. I've never abused them. Why? I'm not an addict. But, after learning that my only child was a heroin addict; after finding him near dead multiple times; after putting him in prison by calling the police and testifying against him multiple times, *I* needed help for my own anxiety which was through the roof. More often than not, I have to call to have the prescription renued because it's out of date, rather than because I'm out of it!

I also have friends who are addicts who take benzos -- as prescribed. They have someone else handle the meds. They take precautions as they know their own weakness. They are responsible for their own actions.

And that's the key. Responsibility.
You, me and every person on this earth is responsible for our own actions. We are responsible for learning about the prescriptions that the doc hands us. We are responsible to take it *only* as prescribed. We are responsible for reporting any side effects -- yes, even the side effects we may "like."

My doctor and I are partners in my health care. He is not G*D. I do not expect him to be one. I question him on the why's and what for's of my diagnoses, prescriptions and effects of meds.... We are partners in my health, but, ultimately, I am responsible for my health.

In this day and age, I cannot even imagine anyone blindly accepting the words of a doctor. If you did so, that's on you. It's YOUR health at stake. Be responsible for it.

But, please stop trying to be "responsible" for others lives.
You're not.

You've shared your ESH.
You've touted your book on the subject.
But, you are NOT a doctor!
And your words do harm.

So, no.
We do NOT all agree on your excuses
listed in the last post.
Not at all.

But, we can agree to disagree.

Shalom!