Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by *Ceridwen View Post
LOL, I have to say that I've always thought that the people I've known, who've gone on to study counselling, are those who could most benefit (IMO: which obviously means knowt) from HAVING counselling, and I wouldn't want to pay for them to work out their issues at my time of need......

but that can't be true for all of them, its a small sample, and I know some very unhealthy people (like attracts like....)
That has been my experience as well, I have had three great therapists, I mean incredible, and seen a few bad ones when I was shopping, as in heard some amazingly jaw dropping stupidity come out of these peoples mouths.

Bad therapists .....I mean...wow...no comment....they remind me of Dolores Umbridge from the Harry Potter Books, fuzzy sweaters, kittens and pure evil (stupidity)

The Folks I have known in AA that have gone on to get their therapy degrees generally speaking, when told...I like...pause....and go...hmm...well....there it is.

It's like the truly sick go get jobs as therapists and the ones that go get healthy go get lives.

Not always, but there has been a definite pattern.

I was seeing one counselor for awhile.....phew, I mean I don't want to hear about some guy named "monster" that used to beat you up when you had three years of sobriety every week, you know? I never dated anyone named monster, I never plan on dating anyone named monster, and I don't care that you dated a guy named monster, it's just not relevant. Now I'm seeing a different one, the difference is AMAZING.

Night and day, I always walk out now with a LOT to think about.