Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JenT1968

Counsellors are only human. I have (so far) a wonderful counsellor for myself, but we've had a pretty duff marriage counsellor, but really only duff because he wasn't equipped to deal with AH's drinking issues, and My issues with his drinking.....he's probably great at the whole "he never does the washing up/she's always nagging me about the washing up" thing.

So you've been split up for a year, he's still drinking, he thinks he should be able to drink, you don't want him drinking around you, sounds like an impasse to me.

You've been having counselling for that time, individual and together.

My experience of marriage guidance counselling was that they have a fairly limited skill set, that centres on one or both of you moving to a position were you are both happy for the marriage to continue, or if you can't, help you to see that and move on, there is no moral "right position" for this equilibrium, if one of you were happy to never have sex and for the other one to have millions of affairs and the other one was too, they'd help you find that equilibrium.

She might just have reached the limit of her skill set, and have gone through everything she knows how to do to get one/both of you to move in some way that would resolve this situation and has therefore suggested moving back in as a kill or cure impasse-breaking thing.

I.e that one (or both) of you will either think, sod this, it's never going to work, we are too different and want different things out of life, lets end it. Or you'll both think "it isn't as bad as we remembered lets move forward from here.

Sweetheart, what do you want from the counselling? he sounds very firm that he wants to continue drinking, marriage counselling isn't going to change that, his individual counselling can only help him stop if he wants to, which he doesn't, and your counselling will help you make decisions and changes in your life, not his.

So if you aren't prepared to bend and change in order to accept his drinking around you, and fully EMBRACE that choice, (and I'm not for a second suggesting you do, I am in exactly the same boat), then what do you think this can achieve?

(edited because my spelling is abysmal)