View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dolce7dolore

Experiences with Meetings

I would love to go to a great meeting. So far, I've had horrible luck. I went to an Alanon meeting where I live. It was run well, but I had a hard time relating to people because they were mainly the wives of. There aren't alateen meetings where I'm going to college though.

So I'm home for spring break, and there is a town close that has alateen meetings. So my brother and I went yesterday. It was absolutely horrible. Let's just say they were planned poorly, the last 15 minutes were used purely for socializing since they ran out of things to do, and one of the leaders told a drinking joke....

I know that meetings can be run well, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any positive experiences from one. On another note, I'm not religious and I have a hard time with alanon. It's like going to church for me. We read out of a book, a sort of bible, we give an offering, and we end with a prayer. I just want to talk to other people who have had the same experiences as me. But we never talk about that, we just read and talk about God. Why is it so difficult to just talk? I don't get it. I've never tried ACoA meetings (there's none around me) but do they have them same spirituality in it constantly?