Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lunarise
lunarlovelunar

Question #1

1.What do I enjoy about my addiction, what does it do for me (be specific)?
List as many things as you can that you liked about whatever you are/were addicted to. a. Where possible, find alternative ways of achieving the same goals.
b. Recognize positive thinking about the addiction as a potential relapse warning sign.
c. Realize that there are some things you liked about the addiction you will have to learn to live without.
d. List what you enjoy about your addiction so you can ask yourself if it is really worth the price. e. Realize that you aren't stupid; you did get something from your addiction. It just may not be working on your behalf anymore.
hmmm What DID I enjoy about my addiction....?

~I enjoyed the fact that my addiction gave me an excuse to isolate myself from my huzzy. He didnt like being around me when I drank/smoked cigs so the more I did it the more time alone I got.
NOW~When I need time alone, and I do regularly, I take it, but I now do constructive things instead of sit on the porch and get sideways.

~I enjoyed the fact that drinking gave me the excuse to stop going anywhere. I wanted to drink every night so of course I couldnt go back to school or get another job away from home. This kept me from having to deal with my fear concerning these things..fear of failure.
NOW~I am still nervous about school and finding a fulfilling job but I plow ahead anyway...I have alot of support and I dont just feel fear about my life now, I am excited to try something different.

~I enjoyed the routine.
NOW~ I am making other routines, routines that dont tear apart my life and make me sick.

~I enjoyed the fact that it made me feel more loose so when I met new people I wasnt as scared to be myself.
NOW~ I havent really met any new people since being sober...but I suppose I should have a plan..like picturing them naked or something...lol

~I enjoyed being numb sometimes. I could block out the world..all my problems and pain.
NOW~I deal with stuff as it comes..sober..like an adult (sometimes lol)..and when I wanna check out I watch a movie or I spend time alone going for a walk or I meditate (try anyway).

~ I enjoyed the fact that it calmed my nerves. After the first few I would feel..more content..less anxious..etc
NOW~I actually had a script for anxiety meds but have ran out and havent got it refilled. I dont want to be on anything. I try not to let things build up so they dont overtake me when Im not lookin. Ive been trying to drink non-caffeinated tea as a relaxer.

Im sure there are more but thats all I can think of right now....I hope others share..it would be great to here others experiences....

Ill do the other questions later this week...

Thanks so much for this thread..... :ghug3