View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Change4life

Sometimes its bewtter to have a PD. They are in the same court almost everyday and know the judge and prosecutor. They will usually work with the PD. Private lawyers sometimes **** the judge off. Its really hard to say. Just be prepared to be able to speak for your self also. I ahd to go to court for cocaine possesion. My first PD absolutely sucked, if I hadnt spoken up for myself I would have been screwed. The second time I went they gave me someone new and he was much better.

I have to tell you though the key to "getting a better deal" is true remorse and acknopwledgement of your mistake. If you are sincere and show that you have sought help they will be more lenient within the framework of the law. Some crimes come with mandatory sentences and there isnt much a judge can do. Go get some counseling and bring proof. Go to meetings and have someone sign a paper showing you were there. Bring those things to court. Volunteer for something. Helping someone else will help you heal and it looks good in front of the judge.
Dont think you can waltz in there and get off if you dont show that you understand the severity of what you did and prove you are willing to change no matter what type of lawyer you have.