View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Originally Posted by SonofaMess View Post
I agree entirely. I hope a lot of people read this thread. Far too often I witness people get discouraged and overwhelmed thinking they can only curb their drinking by completing a 12 step or completing a series of rehab requirements. They are great ways and do help many many people, but everybody is different.

Each individual is complex and can figure out what works for them over time. If something unique or different helps you curb your drinking and nobody else thats perfectly ok.
Recently, I had a bit of a "revelation" about this. We are all starting out with unique experiences, beliefs, and thoughts. We are all different. Even within the AA program, our experiences with the steps are going to be different.

The common goals seem to be sobriety and a fulfilling life. There are so many ways to get there and while the experiences of others are definitely valuable, in the end it is their experience - not mine. I can learn from it but really I have to find and live my own unique path. The search for this path can be frustrating (lots of trial and error) but it is there for each and every one of us.