View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheShallot

Anyone here ever use a Public Defender?

Hi folks! Im here because I was arrested for a DUI a month ago. I might need help with the booze. OR.... i might need help with anxiety and stress. Im not sure. But right now I have no job and no money AND I have to care for my disabled father that had a heart attack.

While Im trying to figure THAT out, Im trying to figure out if I should use a Public Defender. I have already had the initial meeting and was appointed one.

Here is my short story:

I was pulled over for speeding a month ago. (Going 57 in a 35 which 100% BS)

They smelled alcohol on me. I was told that I should never get out of the car or perform any tests because they are all rigged for me to fail.

So, I didnt take a breathalyzer. I didnt perform any of their tests. I didnt even get out of the car! I told them they have no authorization to touch my vehicle or search it. I gave them my DL, insurance card and registration. Thats it.

I was having a panic attack (i get them somewhat often) and I was freaking out. Well 2 minutes later the door opens on the car and I get ripped out and slammed against the pavement. My glasses broke and my face was badly scratched to where they called an ambulance. They took me to the hospital... did NOT draw blood. (BTW I told them I refuse to go to the hospital and they said "its to late")

Well I have NOOOOOO money. I was layed off 5 months ago and cant find a job to support myself. I had to take a Public Defender.

I was told by two attorneys that I could probably get the DUI dismissed. The public Defender says it would be a MIRACLE.

My question: Should I take out a loan to pay for a regular attorney and ditch the Public Defender?

Thank You in advance!!!!!!

(This happened in ILLINOIS)