Thread: Happy Endings??
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ago

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...marriages.html

There is a similar thread from before

Something that has become apparent to me over time, for one reason or another, generally speaking this is the wrong forum to look for a successful relationship with a recovered alcoholic.

When someone posted that in the last thread, I got kind of a resentment, but generally speaking it's the truth, there are one or two notable exceptions, but here is the wrong place to look for "success stories" that involve relationships with sober people.

You will hear a lot of success stories from people who got into recovery themselves, and either moved on or their alcoholic passed away, but not many "successful relationship" with an Alcoholic stories, those people don't come here.

By the way, although I am involved with a lovely young lady today who isn't "sober" (she is however in a very real way in recovery) I did have a successful long term relationship with a sober alcoholic, but the truth of the matter is I wouldn't even consider dating an alcoholic with probably less then around seven years of sobriety, there is the risk factor (which diminishes greatly after 2 years) but there is all the baggage that accompanies addiction that takes years to clear up, if ever and the emotional roller coaster ride that goes with the first decade of sobriety.

There are success stories, but perhaps if you want to hear about them you may want to post in the 12 step sober alcoholic forum