View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MrsMagoo

Expectations after Rehab

My AH is coming home from detox/rehab after three weeks either tomorrow or Friday. He is going straight into IOP.

Judy (SerenityQueen) has given me some EXCELLENT advice about the transition such as:

1. Do NOT ask him if he's going to go to a meeting (except maybe once then drop it).

2. Do NOT expect intimacy since it may be physically impossible with what his body has recently gone through - to let him initiate in case an embarrassing situation should arise (or not).

3. Do NOT fall all over him, wait on him hand and foot or fawn over him. His favorite meal might be in order but stand down for the most part.

4. Do NOT inquire all the time as to what might be on his mind, especially when he zones out or looks lost in thought.

What else? I don't want to fall right back into my co-dependant tendencies and your opinions as to whats okay and what should be off limits is important to me. He has given me numerous kudos for coming so far and being so strong and learning so much about addiction and recovery and I don't want to blow it cause I'm happy to see him. And I am happy that he's coming home even though I know the hard work is going to start then - for both of us.

What else? What were some of the things you appreciated or didn't appreciate? If you are a loved one - what worked for you?

Thanks, Janet