View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
realmcenter

I just know I have to do something

Like most people, I really hoped I'd never have to tell myself that I'm an alcoholic, but there's no way for me to avoid it anymore. The majority of people who know me would have no idea that I am. But when there's weeks that I have had multiple nights where I lost track of the number of drinks I've had, blacked out, and/or made a complete fool of myself. It is affecting my health and I look in the mirror and see myself aging quicker. The amount of money I have spent is appalling.

Most of the time I can just kick back a beer or two at home with no problem. The issue is when I'm in a social setting and start on the liquor. I just can't stop drinking when I'm around people and especially when I hit the liquor. I've nearly gotten alcohol poisoning more times than I can count and have spent far too many days with brutal hangovers.

I don't know if I'll be very successful with trying to completely abstain from alcohol, though. I don't think I would miss liquor much (and I don't really like wine) but I'm one of those people who enjoys beer for the flavour. And I seem to handle beer far better and actually have an ability to stop drinking when I'm drinking it, something I can't say for liquor. Although I haven't tried non-alcoholic beer, I don't object to it on principle. Kind of like coffee, which for me is a comfort beverage even if I drink decaffeinated coffee since the flavour and aroma are what I seek. Consuming a good, quality beer is an experience I enjoy very much. Liquor beverages, on the other hand, are only drunk when I seek their intoxicating effects and with the exception of a good margarita, not generally an experience I otherwise enjoy.

Has anyone had success if they try to stop drinking a certain type of alcohol (as in beer, wine, or liquor)? Did whatever type(s) of alcohol you kept drinking end up taking over the roles that the alcohols you were abstaining from had? Did you just have to abstain from all types of alcohol? I just want to know if it's worthwhile for me to just say no to certain types of alcohol or if I just need to say no to alcohol period.