View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ReadyToHelp

Milena, that's funny.

Bearfeet, I studied education and over the years and I was particularly interested in how we learn languages (I love language learning). As I learned about how we acquire our native language, and then a second language, I learned what we need to do in order to remember words, grammar, idiomatic expressions. As adults, foreign languages are filled with stuff that doesn't make sense to us because they can be completely different from our native, so there's nothing to associate anything with. (For example, in Russian, there is no verb "to be" in the present tense. You you'd say "I cold". You just have to do it, even if it doesn't make sense to an English speaker.)

The way you learn a language, or anything, is to consistently have it before you. Not just physically, but mentally. When I learned new words, I'd think of them throughout the day, put them in sentences, recognize relating objects and said the word in my head. This review was re-in...I forgot the word. I seldom use it these days. You see, it's gone. It'll bother me for the rest of the day and it'll come.

Our memory works that way, too. If we don't use words on a regular basis, they kind of fade away into the back part of our memory, so when you're looking for that word you know exists, it's on the tip of your tongue, but you can't quite remember it...Most likely because you haven't used it much lately! Using the word is reinforcing it. That's the word!

Well, while words fade away because you were not consciously thinking of them, a phone number that you're thinking consciously of trying to forget it, is tricky. I'd stop myself in the middle of reciting it in my mind; so as soon as you start to think of it, sing a song, get up and say out loud, "I wonder what's on TV" or something that will completely distract you, and snap you out of it. Since it's a thought, and it can happen in a split second, you have to react quickly. Even if it's just "Nope, I'm not saying the rest of it. Let's go over what books I've read in 2008." Something that'll take brain power.

Remember Pavlov's dog? Well, we are creatures of habit and we are easily conditioned to associate things with things. So, if you condition your mind to stop saying the rest of it once you think of the area code, then you can eventually turn that into a subconscious exercise that automatically happens. You don't have to mention what you're doing to anyone, since - the more you bring it up, the more it's in front of you!

Anthony Robbins talks about doing something to break a pattern. So, when a client is talking about something difficult and starts crying, he'll throw a glass of water on him/her. Or he'll start to whistle. He'll get them to feel shocked or to laugh. The mallot idea is a cute visual. I've tried creating a rule of having to eat a pint of ice cream every time I wanted to do something, I don't remember what it was (see, I forgot it! LOL). Also calling a designated person who could empower you by brining to the forefront the reasons you are no longer with him! (Just hearing the person's voice can be an eventual association with how bad he was, you don't even have to talk about it - I've got that going with my best friend - she feels so strongly about my situation, that I don't even have to bring my ABF up! I hear her voice, and know I'm great, smart, and all the other adjectives that's she's used to describe me over the years. Hearing her voice means I deserve more in a relationship!) This afternoon, during a weak moment, while my ABF was in the shower, I pulled out a notebook I'd been using to have a "Me and my Fake Therapist" Q&A discussion in, and reviewed the questions my fake therapist asked, and the answers I'd written. Why I felt like my ABF and I didn't belong together, the things he'd done that hurt my feelings, his responses to my statements about my hurt feelings, why I feel responsible for his wellfare, etc. I felt stronger about our abrupt conversation before he walked out, and I didn't ask him when he was coming back for a change or appear needy and frightened about his "abandoning me". Having an Anchor, I think Robbins calls it, will help you change your focus from that one thing, to another. The more empowering it is, the better.

So, it takes a lot of work, but I think it's worth it since we become more attached to addicts than we realize.

As for your desire to call him - you can change your number, burn the phone, not have a cell - but it won't take away the attachment to calling him means to you. I'm paying off my credit cards. Unfortunately, as the season come and go, there are crazy sales calling my name! The strength doesn't come from the stores closing their doors or avoiding my email, or walking down the street. The strength comes from facing it and saying "NO, it's not right for me."

When you can do that, you'll be so free. I'm almost there!

Good luck. I hope my comments will help you!

~(Almost)ReadyToMoveOn