Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
That's what I thought. I don't believe the ability to take a sip of wine in such a situation without experiencing cravings rules out one being an alcoholic.
I could see that— it could be argued here. Probably with no resolution.

However, what I think is more interesting is the idea of how closely people hang on to the identity of alcoholic. I sort of feel like I am battling that whole issue a bit right now. I feel like recovery and the alcoholic identity is consuming my life and sometimes I wonder is it worth it? Or better am I really this sick? But then I am like, yep, I am, I have so much work to do. I am an alcoholic to a tee. Ugh. I have a friend who quit drinking awhile ago and was so quick to say she was an alcoholic. I know I shouldn't compare other people's recoveries but sometimes it is hard not to. She got a boyfriend a few months in. She didn't go to AA, LifeRing, anything. She just had a therapist. And it all seemed so easy for her. Like alcohol gone and instant happiness. Lately I have been thinking a lot about her recovery just because it is so different than my own. First of all, I am so tunnel vision myself, I cannot ever imagine having a boyfriend now or anytime soon. I battled hard to even come to the realization that I am an alcoholic. And it is hard. Am I happy? Hardly. I am learning to bear my life, to live soberly, which is so important, and needed. I grew up on alcohol; now I need to grow up sober. So back to my friend— I was thinking maybe she just switched addictions her boyfriend for alcohol but just now I was like maybe she is not an alcoholic. She quit drinking after one really bad night. Me, I needed about 100+. I kind of feel like self-destruction is part of the alcoholics deal. Okay, I am so rambling right now, I don't even know what I am talking about. Sooo off topic. It is 1am here. Point is I wonder how many people embrace the identity of alcoholic too quickly without actually being one or too rigidly. Or just a general philosophical question what does it mean to embrace the identity of alcoholic?

(You know when you don't feel tired and realize that you actually must be super tired because you aren't making any sense.....sorry folks)